Sunday, February 13, 2011

Equal Access


I believe it is the responsibility of both parents and the educators to provide equal access to the digital world to children. I feel that educators should teach students the current tools that would benefit the students both in the classroom and their daily lives. However, I think it is up to the parents to maintain the students’ knowledge. An educator can provide technology education by teaching lessons using technology and assigning homework that allows the students to utilize their skills they have learned. I understand not all students have access to a computer or internet in the home. However, there are public libraries and school libraries with free computer access. Also, students have other electronic devices such as cell phones and I-pods with internet access.

As mention before, I believe parents should also be held responsible for students utilizing their technology skills. This can be done is by making sure students are keeping up with their assignments. Also, if parents take advantage of the free computer programs in their community, it will help parents engage with students with their assignments.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even think about incorporating the parents. I like the idea of getting the parents just as involved as the teacher. Getting all parties to understand and work for the same goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Shantay. I blogged with almost the same response! I agree teachers should introduce and explain the ins and outs of technology and parents should present the opportunities as much as possible. Learning doesn't stop once the children leave the school doors, parents need to keep it going!

    ReplyDelete